Tom Hardy stars as Venom in first teaser trailer
Venom is back on the big screen.
While the plot details on this spin-off are still under wraps (and the teaser doesn't reveal too much either), we're excited to see what Tom Hardy will bring to the role of Eddie Brock/Venom, since the last time we saw him, he was played by Topher Grace in the divisive Spider-Man 3.
Michelle Williams co-stars here, making this her first time tackling the superhero genre. There's also been confirmation that we'll see Tom Holland's Spider-Man somewhere in this film.
There’s not much to see yet, with the trailer clocking in at a mere 1:38 seconds, but here are our observations:
- As comic book fans will know, Venom is a “symbiote” that needs a human body to merge with. We’re assuming that Tom Hardy’s character Eddie Brock is screaming in the MRI machine because he’s discovered that he is that human body (sorry, Eddie – I’d be upset too. The upside? At least you’re getting some superpowers…
- Since the “symbiote” is evil, and Eddie Brock is not, I imagine there will be an internal good vs evil struggle for Eddie throughout the entire film (we’ll be rooting for ya, Eddie)
- No sign of a “Venom” costume or CGI effect. Will Tom Hardy just continue to look like Tom Hardy, or will some kind of metamorphosis take place? I say yes.
- Michelle Williams may be playing the love interest, although it’s hinted in Hardy’s voice-over she may be the ex-girlfriend.
- That’s some crash site! Maybe that’s how the symbiote gets free and merges with Eddie? I imagine Eddie’s next step will be to break out of that medical facility he’s in.
Get excited with the first teaser trailer below! Venom hits Cineplex theatres on October 5th!
Click here and Sign Up to the Cineplex Weekly Newsletter for more of the latest movie news, trailers, exclusive contests, promotions & more!